Sunday, January 29, 2012

Out in the Halls by Jennie Butler

Out in the Halls

As a young mother I often find myself out in the halls at church. New babies need to be fed, changed, and loved even during Sacrament Meeting. As a new mother I made every effort to feed, change, and get the baby to sleep before Sacrament Meeting. However, these efforts were often in vain as the baby rarely stayed quiet through meeting. Toddlers can be trained to be reverent during meetings. However, on occasion they too can have bad days and need attention outside of the chapel. We have six small children. Sometimes it feels like I never get to sit through Sacrament Meeting, let alone the other meetings in the block.

At times I would hear comments from other mothers out in the halls. They would express frustration at not being able to enjoy the meeting. I admit as a new mother I felt some of this too. They would question, “Why even come when I’m just going to spend my time out in the halls or in the mother’s lounge?” Some mothers I knew stopped coming until their babies were old enough to sit through the meeting. I began to ask myself why I came every week.

I found many reasons to go to the effort of attending church.

First, I realized most weeks I could participate in Sacrament Meeting even if it was a moment here and there. A hymn would lift my soul. Partaking of the sacrament, even in the foyer, could be a sacred experience. A segment of a talk could remind me to improve. I learned to treasure these little spiritual experiences.

Second, I learned I could actually be of service in the halls. I could greet latecomers. I could encourage another parent who was experiencing difficultly with a child. I could be on the lookout for visitors and investigators. The opportunity to interact with the saints, even in the halls, has buoyed me up.

Third, I began to view this time with my little one as sacred. What an honor to care for a child of God. Jesus suffered the little children to come unto Him. We are so blessed to nurture these precious souls. It is a wonderful time to serve the one. They are little for such a short time. Before we know it they are sitting beautifully through Sacrament Meeting. I started to actively use the time in the mother’s lounge to softly sing hymns or listen to the speakers in Sacrament (when audio was available). From infancy children can realize church is a special place where they too can feel the Spirit.

Worshiping with the saints in Sacrament Meeting is an important part of our week. With little ones it can be difficult. However, Heavenly Father will bless us for our efforts even if we are out in the halls for a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment